Prior to Donation
- Hydrate. Drink plenty of water.
- Eat meals high in salt and iron including:
|Greens (all kinds)
|Whole Grain Bread
Peanut butter and other nut butters
Day of Donation:
- Eat a light, healthy meal before donation. Don’t donate on an empty stomach.
- Stay well hydrated on the day of blood donation.
- Bring your photo ID: a driver’s liscense, state-issued ID, passport, etc.
- Minor Donor Consent Form for 16 and 17 year old donors
- Stay for at least 15 minutes and enjoy a salty snack.
- Drink extra fluids, preferably without alcohol or caffeine. For the next 3 days, drink up to 64 oz. of water a day to help replace the fluid volume lost with your donation.
- Avoid heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 12 hours. This will help prevent bruising, help the needlestick site heal and allow your body to readjust to the blood loss. Get a restful sleep tonight.
- If there are any concerns following your donation, please call us at 800.423.0151 to discuss.